If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Naughty pope, good show.


I don't know if it's good history (probably not), but Showtime's The Borgias has been a cracking good period drama. Each hour is generously filled with sex, violence, intrigue, and nicely complicated characters who you don't like much in one scene but then feel bad for in the next. And the CGI used to create 15th-century Italy is very good: subtle and artful and virtually never reminding you that you aren't seeing real buildings and actual views out castle windows.

Previously, I enjoyed The Tudors, which was produced by many of the same creative people behind The Borgias, but The Borgias has so far done a better job in generating stories from the same heady swirl of truth and imagination presented by the previous show, along with offering better production values. Definitely give this one a whirl if you're at all curious. It's quite easy to catch up on the initial episodes; they're all available on Showtime On Demand. New episodes air on Showtime every Sunday evening at 10:00 p.m.

I experienced The Tudors on DVD, but signed up for Showtime so I could do exactly that: watch The Borgias as each new episode aired. A happy bonus was a generous sign-up deal from my cable provider: six months of Showtime for only $10.00 per month. Actually, I signed up for both HBO and Showtime for the $10.00-each-per-month deal. Maybe your cable provider is currently offering the same deal, too.

Oh, why did I also want HBO? You'll have to wait for tomorrow's cable tip to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment