If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The game begins


While a big reason I recently signed up for HBO and Showtime was because I wanted to watch The Borgias on the latter channel, the primary reason was because I wanted to be there on the ground floor when Game of Thrones got underway on HBO. Now, three episodes into the series, I'm patting myself on the back for coming up with and implementing a very good plan.

Sticking close to the novels in George R.R. Martin's immersive Song of Ice and Fire series (four books strong so far), Game of Thrones draws you into its world of political (and often literal) backstabbing, diverse cultures, terrific characters, and epic storytelling. And, to be clear, said story is suspenseful, involving, and thoroughly unpredictable. No one is safe, which is both a sad and dramatically terrific aspect of the show (at least, if it keeps sticking to the plot points of the books).

You don't have to be a fantasy fan to enjoy this series. While things like magic, dragons, and supernatural monsters eventually come into play, it'll be a while before they're a sizable part of the proceedings. And even then they always take a back seat to the human interactions. No, the show mainly feels like an alternate, fictional past of our own human history.

Game of Thrones airs on Sundays at 9:00 p.m. Eastern on HBO, with easy access to all the previous episodes available at HBO On Demand. While I'm enjoying The Borgias on Showtime, I'm really enjoying Game of Thrones on HBO. Why not give it a try and see if you feel the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment