If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday tip #1


2009's State of Play, starring Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Ben Affleck, and Helen Mirren, is a crisp, fast-moving thriller set in the corridors of power of Washington. D.C., in the days following a handful of mysterious deaths. Will Mr. Crowe's rumpled yet diligent newspaper reporter character figure out who was behind the deaths, despite equally diligent opposition? One thing's for sure: the movie will keep you caring as he tries.

The world of private defense contractors in a post 9/11 world figures heavily in the proceedings, and do the current trials and tribulations of the newspaper business. The movie never sacrifices its smarts in its mission to entertain and, despite the private defense contractor angle, doesn't go for easy villains and cheap shots.

State of Play looks and sounds great on standard DVD, the way that I experienced it. A behind-the-scenes featurette and a handful of deleted scenes round out the proceedings.

State of Play was a Netflix rental, and my wife and I both enjoyed it. You might, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment