If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hello, new Kindle!


Amazon announced the new Kindle 3 today, which will be available in late August. I won't describe all its features, as you can read about them easily enough at Amazon's web site. But I will observe that Amazon has, I believe, made all the right moves with the latest generation of its dedicated e-reader.

For one thing, Amazon is doing just that: keeping the Kindle a dedicated e-reader, and not adding a ton of functions that have nothing to do with e-reading, in some kind of futile attempt to compete with Apple's iPad. Nope, Amazon realizes that the iPad is dazzling and wonderful, but sometimes a device that's smaller and lighter and more durable might be just what the doctor ordered if all you want to do at a given moment is read some books or periodicals. I love my iPad (the first Apple product I ever owned), but it does make me appreciate the ease of carrying and using my Kindle 2.

Other immediate impressions? I love the fact that Amazon has made the Kindle 3 even smaller and lighter than the already svelte K2, but didn't reduce the size of the screen. I also like the choice of two colors. If I decide to go for a K3 (heck, I probably will), I'll likely select the elegant graphite-colored choice. I also think the new price points were a smart move: if you want, you can get a new Kindle for as little as $139. Wow.

I'm sure I'll have more to say on the new Kindle 3 (Amazon isn't using the "3" in the title, actually, just calling it the next generation Kindle) in the days to come, but for now I think it's doing pretty much everything right, both with the product itself and the marketing of it.

What are your impressions? If you already own a K1 and/or a K2, does this new model intrigue you enough to upgrade? Or, if you haven't taken the e-reader plunge yet, will this new Kindle finally seduce you into doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment