If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Fan the flames


My wife and I caught The Girl Who Played With Fire this past weekend in our nearby art house theater. While the first movie in the already-filmed trilogy, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, was more of a straightforward mystery story injected with two fascinating central characters who solve the mystery, this second movie involves a mystery that is much more directly related to those central characters.

Here, the journalist played by Michael Nyqvist is a colleague of two of the murder victims, and the edgy investigator and computer expert played by Noomi Rapace has a personal connection to both the third victim and, quite possibly, the killer. More a moody thriller than the first film's outright mystery story, the movie still satisfies and makes one look forward to the third film, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, out this October.

All three of these films are Swedish-language productions (with English subtitles here in the U.S.) adapting Stieg Larsson's trilogy of mystery novels. The literary version of The Girl Who Played With Fire is available on Kindle for $7.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment