If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Enjoyed this


Amidst Christmas shopping and other holiday chores, we caught Tron: Legacy over the weekend. It was a pretty good movie, much more layered and nuanced than the original Tron. Interestingly, even with all the flashy graphics and 3D effects, the movie is ultimately the story of a father and a son.

I had heard that the emotional content of the film was an 11th hour addition, when an early cut of the movie proved too cold. But, I don't know, the film's emotional themes seemed pretty well integrated into the story, so if was a later addition, it was done skillfully.

In a nod to The Wizard of Oz, which bracketed a spectacular color story with a black & white opening and closing, Tron: Legacy opens and closes with flat, 2D scenes, which serve to emphasize the spectacular 3D middle section, which makes up the bulk of the film. And, by all means, if you're going to see the film, see it in 3D. The 3D is sharp, clean, very cool, and used well.

No comments:

Post a Comment