If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weeds we don't mind


Is it just me, or does the television series Weeds repeatedly try to be shocking and outrageous just for the sake of being shocking and outrageous? Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially if the results are entertaining. But I'm just wondering.

Anyway, when I'm not puttering around in the taproom, my wife and I have been lately watching season four of the show on DVD. Albert Brooks was a treat as a guest star in the first few episodes (hopefully he'll be back before the end of the set), and Mary-Louise Parker is as cute as ever as the formerly wholesome suburban mom who now sells pot to make ends meet.

The stories are the main act in the sideshow, though, regularly upstaging the already mischievous premise. The plots and subplots, four seasons in, still sport the same reliable mix of crazy, goofy, and offensive as they have from day one. And because it's all somehow working, as it always seems to, I guess I'll be perusing the shelves for season five.

No comments:

Post a Comment