If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Good police thriller


While not offering anything that's particularly groundbreaking, John Sandford's Rules of Prey (on Kindle for $6.39) does a good job delivering all the things thriller readers want to see in a serial killer novel: a scary murderer, an interesting central cop character chasing the killer, lots of colorful supporting characters, a good sub-plot or two, and a fast pace. While I wasn't crazy about the "gotta take the law into your own hands to get any justice" aspect of Lucas Davenport's character, I otherwise found him interesting and likable enough.

I also liked how Sandford didn't shy away from making his central character a little messy: Lucas Davenport isn't above using his murder investigation as a means to score women, even though he and his current girlfriend are expecting a baby.

Despite the fact that it originally appeared over fifteen years ago and undoubtedly hundreds of other serial killer thrillers have appeared since then, the book feels fresh and alive and keeps you turning the pages.

The accompanying image shows the original hardback edition of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment