If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Angry heroes


Mystery/thriller writer Brad Meltzer has a nice handful of titles available on Kindle, including The Book of Lies ($6.39), Dead Even ($3.99), The Book of Fate ($7.99), and The Tenth Justice ($3.84). Right now I'm reading something by Mr. Meltzer that's a little off the beaten track: a graphic novel featuring the likes of Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, etc., entitled Identity Crisis.

Only it's really not all that much off the author's beaten track, because it's a mystery story. When the wife of Ralph Dibny, better known as the second-tier but likable hero known as The Elongated Man, is found brutally murdered, Ralph and the other heroes leap into action to find the culprit. Colorful heroes notwithstanding, Identity Crisis is dark, visceral stuff (and I'm not just talking about the central murder), with a puzzling mystery at its heart. Written by Mr. Meltzer and nicely drawn by Rags Morales, Identity Crisis might be a good first leap into the world of graphic storytelling for those curious about the medium, or a decent title to use to get reacquainted with the world of comics if you've been away a while. The title is available as a thick trade paperback for about 14 bucks wherever graphic novels are sold, or easily available via Amazon.

Right now this is a real winner, though I'll check in one more time about the book when I'm completely through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment