If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Satisfying

 

Kendra Elliot's The Last Sister was a decent, polished page-turner, no more or no less. I enjoyed it, so there's nothing to complain about. I also got to read it for free on my Kindle because I'm an Amazon Prime member. Well, I do pay for Amazon Prime, but you get the idea.

A violent double murder with hate-crime overtones shakes the residents of a small town in the Pacific Northwest. When the employer and friend of one of the murder victims doesn't feel that the local police are investigating the crimes with proper diligence, she calls the FBI. 

The rest of the book is basically the FBI working with the town's police department to solve the murders. After some initial resentment, the local sheriff and police department end up working well with the Feds, which made the book more enjoyable. Federal and local law enforcement don't always have to knock heads. Also, a romance blooms between FBI agent Zander Wells and local resident Emily Mills, the young woman and diner owner who discovered her friend/employee and her husband dead at their home when her friend didn't show up for work at the diner.

Anyway, I can go on about the story, but you'll enjoy this fast, enjoyable thriller more if you discover its modest pleasures for yourself. Besides the crime investigation and the romance, the story has a decent array of colorful supporting characters (mostly among the town's residents) and the town has some dark history, including an old violent crime that might be connected to the new ones, which lends additional mood and drama to the proceedings.

Apparently The Last Sister is currently book one of three of the author's Columbia River series. Again, this one was good, so I'll probably check out the other books in this series before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment