If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Fighting, fighting, always more fighting


I have HBO Max, so I've been paying attention to all these 2021 movies that, due to a corporate decision in the face of the pandemic, have been premiering simultaneously on that service and in theaters. It's kind of funny that some of the movies have been Oscar contenders like Judas and the Black Messiah (a very good movie, by the way) and some of them have been popcorn fare like this. But, hey, entertainment is entertainment, whether it's serious or popcorn.

Godzilla vs. Kong is perfectly good fun, though I thought the plot was way more complicated than it needed to be for a movie about two big monsters battling each other. But it's not a huge problem and I went along for the ride. But I hope it's not a huge spoiler to tell you that, like Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, the movie isn't really about the battle highlighted in the title, but about other stuff.

Anyway, this movie was decent fun, and will only be more so if you have a really big TV screen to watch it on. HBO Max also features the movies leading up to it: the 2014 and 2019 Godzilla movies and 2017's Kong: Skull Island, which I thought was good in itself, but got extra credibility due to Brie Larsen and Samuel L. Jackson doing their best to elevate the whole affair. You don't need to watch those earlier movies to enjoy this one, but- as they say- it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment