If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, January 29, 2021

Spenser is on the case


Ace Atkins' newest Spenser novel is a decent, engrossing read.  In it, Spenser takes on a Jeffrey Epstein-type character who is abusing young girls in the Boston area. Nothing like a villain you love to hate, right? But keeping things from being too neat and simplistic plot-wise is the fact that the antagonist of the piece decides to fight back, and using his vast financial resources to do so.

So, soon it's Spenser, Hawk, and a bunch of law-enforcement types trying to get the goods on the powerful billionaire who spirits away impressionable young girls to his private island. Then, to add one more fly, and a particularly deadly one, to the ointment, the billionaire hires Spenser's old nemesis The Gray Man to get Spenser out of the way. The Gray Man is a great villain from past Spenser adventures and he even gives Hawk pause.

If you've enjoyed some of the past Ace Atkins books that continue the adventures of Robert B. Parker's classic detective hero, you will probably enjoy this one, too.  I won't give you more plot details, as discovering them will be half the fun.  Same with the nicely done surprise or two that Atkins will throw your way- you'll enjoy saying "Oh, wow, that's cool" a time or two before the book is over.

Robert B. Parker's Someone To Watch Over Me, by Ace Atkins, is available in hardback, Kindle, and audiobook editions.  The audio, incidentally, is nicely read by actor Joe Mantegna, who has played Spenser lots of time on TV.  This particular Spenser story I did on audio, though I can see myself going back and reading it in prose form to enjoy the story again at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment