If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday tip


If you want to see an exciting summer movie with a little heart, check out Super 8. We saw it last Saturday and liked it. It's basically about a couple of sad and troubled kids, Joe (nicely played by newcomer Joel Courtney) and Alice (the increasingly impressive Elle Fanning) who, along with their friends, get caught up in a dangerous adventure involving a scary monster from outer space.

During the course of the movie, what happens with the monster (mild spoiler here) has the happy side effect of helping Joe and Alice become less sad and troubled, as well as improve their relationships with the people important to them. At first I thought the movie's plot was a little too neat, but now I'm coming to appreciate the elegance and craft that went into the movie's screenplay.

The film also functions, visually and thematically, as a kind of tribute to the types of movies Steven Spielberg used to produce and/or direct in the 1980's, movies like E.T., Poltergeist, The Goonies, etc. You know, "kids in danger, but we're pretty sure they'll be okay in the end" movies. Super 8 was produced by Mr. Spielberg and directed by J.J. Abrams.

Anyway, it's a good film and worth a trip to the multiplex to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment