If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, July 20, 2020

Real fast now...



I usually enjoy writing richer, longer reviews (see my "Antiques Ravin'" review a couple of posts down), but it's hot, I'm tired, and the ongoing pandemic is sapping my creative energies.  But short, quickie tips can be fun, too. Here are a few that may lead you to some good entertainment experiences...

Want to watch some creepy horror movies but nothing too gory? Try The Darkness, with Kevin Bacon, on Netflix and Winchester, with Helen Mirren, also on Netflix. Both are PG-13, which means they had to work a little harder for their tension and scares, not just throw in lots of profanity and violence (not that there's anything wrong with a good R-rated horror movie). Anyway, I found both these movies to be nicely creepy with enough good scares to move things along.

The Soho series of mystery novels by Greg Keen continues to entertain. Each one is set in London's Soho district, a major center of dining and nightlife in the UK.  I'm enjoying Soho Angel now.  The first two books are Soho Dead and Soho Ghosts. For whatever reason, these books have been free for me to borrow on my Kindle as part of the Kindle Lending Library. This may be a free program for anybody who has a Kindle for all I know, and not something you have to subscribe to.  Anyway, check out the program and check out this series.  Kenny Gabriel is an engaging investigator, even if he eats, drinks, and smokes too much.

Finally, Stephen King's If It Bleeds presents four new novellas by the master.  All are solid and immersive, and are actually growing in my estimation as I think back on them (even though I liked them just fine as I was reading them). My favorite story is probably the last one, Rat, which is about writer's block, or more precisely, about a writer reveling in the fact that his chronic writer's block and writing-related stress have lifted and he is happily hammering out a new novel like gangbusters.  But is there a price? Anyway, it's always great when Stephen King writes about writing, and this is no exception.  Too lazy to read? Well, pretty much all four of these stories have been announced as future Netflix movies. But heck, try to read the book first if you can.

Anyway, that's it for now. I hope some of this has been helpful.  Be good and we'll talk again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment