If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Great hotel stay

My friend Bill and his wife Kathy recently caught a movie they enjoyed, and Bill sent around an e-mail about the experience.  I thought Bill's concise thoughts and entertaining opinion would be appreciated by "Kindle Taproom" readers, so I'm sharing Bill's e-mail below.

Kathy and I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and loved it.  It is tender, touching, and very, very amusing.  It is also an illustration of how superb acting, writing, and direction can transform and elevate ordinary, even threadbare, material to something special.

The acting ensemble is extraordinary.  Standouts are Judi Dench and Tom Wilkinson.  The latter is particularly effective as a British High Court Judge who goes to India to settle some unfinished business.  His understated yet compelling performance is an example of art concealing art.  And Maggie Smith?  You will be happy to know that she contributes yet another eccentric but deeply lovable character to her glittering gallery of portrayals.

I should also tell you the film contains no violence, no explosions, no car chases, no kinky sex, no vampires, no robots, and no tie-in with a fast food chain.  All it has is intelligence, wit, and charm, and that proved quite enough for us.

Thank you, Bill!  This sounds like a winner to me.  Even though, like the rest of America, I really enjoyed "The Avengers", sometimes a movie a little less... bombastic, is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment