If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Nice discovery


During lunch at a favorite local taproom today, I spied my bartender loading fresh bottles of wine into the fridge. One caught my eye and I asked to see it (being a sucker for cute label art). Anyway, I decided to have a glass, and it turned out to be pretty good.

The wine was a Giocato Pinot Grigio, from the Slovenia region of Italy. It was smoother and less tart than most Pinot Grigios I've come across, and, in fact, if I was in a grumpy mood I might even say it was a little too flat or bland for a Pinot Grigio. But I'm not feeling grumpy, and I also believe that not every Pinot Grigio has to have the tart/biting thing going. No, this was just fine, with a couple of shades of subtle fruitiness more than compensating for the lack of usual Pinot Grigio sharpness. It certainly went well with my Chicken Fried Chicken lunch entree (a specialty of the joint).

According to a little web research when I got back to the office, Giocato Pinot Grigio goes for about $18.00 a bottle retail. I think it's worth it. You have to love the wine reviews at online retail sites, though. The review I read had this to say about the Giocato: "A cat-like Pinot Grigio from Slovenia that is full of interest." Full of interest? Cat-like? Do descriptions like that actually guide people? Maybe the whole wine review thing isn't as indimidating as I sometimes make it out to be.

But, yeah, give this one a shot if you come across it. And thanks to my friends at the Memphis Taproom, at the corner of Memphis & Cumberland Streets in Philadelphia, for letting me photograph the wine bottle, and for the extra generous pour!

No comments:

Post a Comment