If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Deadly ads


Okay, I promise this is my last post about "The Walking Dead", at least until next week's episode airs. I just feel the need to vent a little about the show's broadcast presentation, which- like the presentation of most network and basic cable programs- was fairly horrendous.

Below is what I said on the "Ain't It Cool News" web site about the show's airing, in a fan "talkback" section. Oh, in case you're wondering what I'm talking about below when I mention a DVD "screener", a screener is a commercial-free promotional DVD of a new show sent to print and online reviewers so they can get their reviews written up early. I've gotten them in the past, but unfortunately didn't see one in my mailbox for "The Walking Dead", so I had to just tune in on Sunday night with everybody else (I know, you feel bad for me). Anyway, here's what I said:


Excellent show, but I envy you guys who got to see it via a DVD screener. I mean, so many commercials (if I see that idiotic DirectTV ad again with the stoner kid in the projection booth getting a blowdart to the neck, I'll scream), too much repeating of the "you can win a zombie walk-on!" promotion, total lack of a smooth fade to closing credits (with maybe a few seconds of moody music to let the whole experience sink in for a beat or two before the detergent commercial comes on), etc. etc.

And whose genius idea was it to show Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead immediately before and right up to the start of The Walking Dead? Wouldn't the opening moments of the show have been much more powerful if we weren't already overloaded on zombie action immediately before the show started? Now I know why I like to discover shows on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment