If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

What else have I been reading? Glad you asked.

We're still unpacking boxes and shining our new scotch glasses here at the taproom, but I think I'll take a break and tell you about the last five books I've read, all but one on my Kindle 2 and all quite enjoyable.

Truck Stop
By J.A. Konrath

For $1.59 on Kindle, you get an enjoyable short novella featuring the author's Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels cop character facing a pair of serial killers. Visceral, page-turning fun.

Cherry Bomb
By J.A. Konrath

Konrath's Jack Daniels character in her latest full-length thriller. Decent, but still a full $9.99 on Kindle, so you might want to start with "Whiskey Sour", the first book in the series (each one is named after a drink!), which goes for $4.79.

The Lost Symbol
By Dan Brown

Not earth shattering, but you get a nicely engaging cat-and-mouse adventure, seasoned this time with lots of fascinating trivia about the Masons, Washington D.C., and something called noetic science. Currently $9.60 on Kindle.

The Professional
By Robert B. Parker

Cheating wives, a dashing gigolo, and sexual blackmail spice up the latest case of Mr. Parker's "Spenser" P.I. character. Usual lightning-paced, banter-rich Parker read, but maybe it's time to put the sleaze on the shelf for a while. $9.99 on Kindle.

Quarry in the Middle
By Max Allan Collins

Though many of Mr. Collins wry, razor-sharp crime thrillers are available on Kindle, this one isn't yet. Quarry is an ex-hitman who hires himself out to other hitmen's targets, offering to protect the targets from their pursuers. About 8 bucks in paperback from Hard Case Crime.

Well, it's time to get back to the unpacking. But be sure to stop in again later. I've got a nice limited edition single malt that I want to try out on my regulars.

No comments:

Post a Comment