If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Decent mystery, in both its literary and film versions

Harlan Coben's Tell No One (on Kindle for $7.99) is a bang-up mystery, more serious in tone than most of the author's other offerings. It revolves around a widower who receives- several years after his young wife's violent death (a death many still think he had something to do with)- a cryptic e-mail that just may be from... the guy's wife. Dare he hope his beloved is somehow still alive?

Interestingly, Coben's very American novel (his other mysteries involve an American sports agent protagonist) was recently adapted into an equally terrific film... but by the French (specifically, director Guillaume Canet), with little changed in the story except for making everyone French and setting the piece in various French locales instead of Manhattan. The movie has the same title as the book and is now available on DVD. And if you hate subtitles, don't worry; the DVD offers the movie in its original French or dubbed in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment