If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

At the movies

The Imitation Game is a terrific World War II movie, telling the not very widely known story of British math geniuses trying to break the Nazis' formidable Enigma code.  Undoubtedly an extremely complex series of events in real life, the movie skillfully distills everything down to an engrossing and fast-moving two hours.

Benedict Cumberbatch is compelling as team leader Alan Turing, a troubled, tragic figure now credited as being one of the fathers, if not the father, of the modern computer.  Keira Knightley (of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies) and Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister on Game of Thrones) are among the many excellent supporting players.

More capsule reviews of this year's Best Picture-nominated films will be posted here in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment