If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sounds good


Before we continue with our regularly scheduled blog, let me share a quick TV tip from my friend Ray, who routinely sends around interesting viewing suggestions laced with lots of thoughtful and fun details. The following, just arrived in my in-box, is no exception...

At 8:00 p.m. tonight, as part of its month-long tribute to Angela Lansbury, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will show one of the best, yet least known of the Katherine Heburn/Spencer Tracy collaborations: Frank Capra's 1948 political comedy State of the Union. Written by Howard Lindsey and Russell Crouse (of Life With Father fame), it is a sharp political satire as pertinent today as it was over 60 years ago.

Besides the two stars, who play an industrialist drafted as a presidential candidate and his politically aware wife, the film features Aldolphe Menjou, Lewis Stone, Raymond Walburn, Margaret Hamilton, and Van Johnson, in probably his best film role. And Angela Lansbury is a revelation. Only 21 years old, she plays a hardened right-wing millionaire newspaper owner adept at political backroom dealing. Just a terrific performance matching Hepburn and Tracy point for point. Anyone who ever marveled at her performance as the mother in The Manchurian Candidate only has to watch this film to see where that steely demeanor was born.

And don't forget the immortal line "Make me another Scazarack Sling, Daddy!"

Thanks, Ray. I'm sure a few readers will take your suggestion to heart and tune in this evening. Readers should note that the time Ray mentioned is U.S. Eastern time. Adjust accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment