If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Goin' to the movies


To mark tomorrow's announcement of this year's Academy Award nominations (this year's nominations of last year's films, to be more precise), below is a list of all the movies I saw in theaters last year. I saw 31 movies on the big screen in 2011, up from 27 in 2010 and 27 in 2009.

It's nice to know that my beloved movie-going habit is still alive and well, and even growing a little, despite the responsibilities of life, the ever increasing price of movie tickets, and the fact that it's just getting more and more comfortable to watch movies at home.

It's also pleasing to know that I enjoyed every movie I saw, and that I would give all of them a good, very good, or excellent rating. Maybe I'm too easygoing and/or forgiving, but there wasn't a stinker in the bunch.

Anyway, in case you're curious, here's a peek at what movies I ventured out to see last year and what I thought of them:

Movies I saw and thought were perfectly good: The Green Hornet; Battle: Los Angeles; The Lincoln Lawyer; Transformers: Dark of the Moon; Cowboys and Aliens; Horrible Bosses; The Thing; and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Movies I saw and thought were very good: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (in Real-D 3D); X-Men: First Class; Super 8; Midnight in Paris; Green Lantern (in Real-D 3D); The Help; J. Edgar; Breaking Dawn, Part One; and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Movies I saw and thought were excellent: The King's Speech; The Fighter; 127 Hours; True Grit; Thor (which I saw in both Real-D 3D and Imax 3D); Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (in Real-D 3D); Captain America: The First Avenger(in Real-D 3D); Rise of the Planet of the Apes; Warrior; The Descendents; Hugo; The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo; and The Adventures of Tin Tin (in Imax 3D).

Feel free to chime in with your two cents about any of the above. It would be fun to hear what some of you guys think of last year's movie fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment