If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Meanderings

Some stuff I've been doing and thinking about...

Though I'm now taking a short break from it it, I'm two books into Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy, a dark take on future American society. The first book in the trilogy, The Hunger Games, is now being made into a movie, which comes out in March. I'm enjoying the series, which is pretty gritty and adult for something officially classified as for young adults, and look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

The new FX television series, American Horror Story, continues to fascinate. It's sort of a cross between the old David Lynch series Twin Peaks and The Shining (both the Stephen King novel and the Stanley Kubrick film). So far I've watched the first two episodes via my cable system's On Demand function, and I plan to watch the third episode tonight or tomorrow. Tune in if you're in the mood for some scary, kinky fun.

I enjoyed the second episode of AMC's The Walking Dead a little more than the first (itself not bad), probably due to the tighter storytelling of the season's first regular-length episode. I still kind of miss the muted colors and slightly grainy photography of the season-one episodes, but I'm getting used to the nicer sets, richer colors and more artful lighting of season two. I guess they're trying to contrast the look of the show with its subject matter. Maybe zombies are scarier if they're shown against the backdrop of a well-lit, pretty farmhouse with a burnished orange sunset behind it. I'm open to the idea.

I'm sure I'll be writing more about the preceding topics, so stop back if you're interested in any of this.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Hunger Games trilogy but agree that it's a little dark for YA. I'll have to give those two shows a chance. I usually get bored with TV and just read. :)

    noveldtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete