If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just for the record


Needless to say, this review is incredibly late. It's just that I wrote, way back when, a long rave about the Kindle 1, then a year or two later wrote a long rave about the Kindle 2. So, when I (predictably) bought a Kindle 3, I was bored with the whole long rave review thing, and just sat back and started enjoying my latest Kindle. And that was almost seven months ago.

But I'm thinking I should really put something on the record, especially considering that the Kindle 4 is probably not all that far off! So, how about this: With no notable improvements needed over the previous model, the Kindle 3 wisely concentrates on making minor tweaks to improve the Kindle experience. Most notably, I'm enjoying the thinner, smaller size of the device, which reduces the dimensions in all areas except screen size. So we now have a smaller, lighter, easier-to-carry Kindle, with no sacrifice at all in the area we care most about: the reading surface.

Second, the screen contrast on that reading surface, which was always perfectly fine, is now even better. Words are now notably crisper and darker, and the background behind the words is notably lighter. The Kindle reading experience is now easier and more comfortable than ever.

Finally, with the Kindle 3, I loved that I was given the ability to choose between the usual white Kindle and the new graphite-colored model. I chose the latter. There's just something about the dark grey, textured case that's really classy. Now more than ever, my Kindle looks really great sitting on a bar next to my glass of Chardonnay (as readers of the web version of Kindle Taproom can tell by the photo I positioned at the top of my blog). Of course, you may prefer the white model, but isn't it great having a choice?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm not going to go on and on this time, just briefly noting for the record that my newest Kindle (3G and Wi-Fi equipped, by the way), improves on the already excellent previous models. So, if you're thinking of taking the plunge and either buying your first Kindle or upgrading from an older model, I say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment