If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vengeance is mine


Sue Grafton's V is for Vengeance will be released on November 21 of this year. That's great news for fans of Grafton's long-running "Alphabet" mystery series starring the tough but winsome female private investigator Kinsey Millhone.

I've been enjoying the earlier entries of the series these past months (right now I'm immersed in H is for Homicide), so it's good to see that there's finally some action at the other end of the spectrum. It's been several years since the most recent entry, U is for Undertow, appeared.

I've actually been experiencing the early Kinsey Millhone stories on audio, via terrific unabridged performances by Mary Peiffer, easily available for download at Audible.com. Ms. Peiffer started recording the Graftons back when unabridged recordings were aimed at a niche market of crazies who refused to settle for the slick audio abridgements hawked in bookstores, and were willing to spend the extra bucks for mail-order purchases or rentals featuring complete readings of popular novels.

I'm not sure if Mary Peiffer kept reading the series once unabridged audiobooks became commonplace. I'll have to check. Broadway star Judy Kaye, who read the abridged versions of the early Graftons, may have eventually taken over the unabridged duties from the less famous Ms. Peiffer. If that's the case, I'll miss Ms. Peiffer's enjoyable, often playful readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment