If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Here be dragons


Like the books on which it is based, HBO's Game of Thrones was slow to seriously introduce magic, dragons, sorcery, and other traditional fantasy tropes into its story, preferring to draw in non-fantasy fans with solid storytelling elements involving strategy, intrigue, and fascinating characters before reminding everyone that, "hey, we are telling a story in the fantasy genre here!"

Well, after a few small tastes in earlier episodes, the season finale of Game of Thrones embraced the fantasy genre in full force in its closing moments, as it faithfully adapted the closing scene in the first book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series. And what did those closing moments depict? Dragons! Darn good-looking ones, too, as well done as any in a big-budget movie.

And for you devotees of the show who aren't necessarily big fans of the fantasy genre? Don't worry, the flavor of the show won't appeciably change next season. You're just going to have a handful of ever-growing dragons who will help facilitate the political manuveurings of certain characters. It'll be fun, I promise. At least as much fun as the show's been so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment