If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, April 4, 2011

More Parker/Brandman news

Being a trained police investigator (really), Paul Bishop, who runs the cool-cat/60's vibe blog, Bish's Beat, is relating more information on the recently-announced Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues, a Jesse Stone novel by Michael Brandman.

According to Bish's Beat, it seems that Mr. Brandman, though not an established novelist, has a long history working on various television adaptations of the late Dr. Parker's works, performing writing and producing duties. In my book, this news can be taken two ways: One, it's nice that there's a solid Parker connection in Mr. Brandman's background, but, two, how many of those old TV versions of Parker's stories was Robert Parker actually happy with?

Anyway, Bish's Beat goes on to describe the plot of the new book, which sounds perfectly fine and engaging (at least no red flags there). Check the plot description out at Bish's Beat (just scroll down a few posts from the top) and see if you agree. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, meaning the actual writing.

Whatever the result, this will be an interesting experiment. Robert B. Parker was known for specific recurring themes and character traits in his books. Now that a new writer (or possibly more than one writer) is taking over, how much change is proper, desired, dreaded, etc.?

Hmmm, this sounds like a topic for a meaty blog essay. I better get cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment