If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hail the King


Congratulations to The King's Speech, for being named Best Picture at the 83rd Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night. If you haven't seen the movie, by all means do so. It's smart, funny, moving, and just an all around great time at the movies.

If you do see the film, however, try to see the original R-rated cut, not the trimmed PG-13 version that will shortly be replacing it in theaters. The PG-13 version trims or eliminates (or something) the witty scene where Colin Firth's character uses a string of profanities in an exercise to reduce his stammering.

This good natured and mildly ribald scene should never have resulted in the original R rating in the first place, and it shouldn't be altered now in order to attain the more accessible PG-13 rating. I mean, if anyone under 17 actually shows enthusiasm for wanting to see a quality production like The King's Speech, wouldn't any parent enthusiastically accompany that youth to a screening, R rating or not?

My advice? If the original cut of the film is unavailable in theaters for the remainder of the film's theatrical run, just wait for the DVD, which I'm sure will offer the original version of the film. That's the version that received the accolades and that's the version people should see.

No comments:

Post a Comment