If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Full dark indeed


Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars features four stories that take the normal attributes of marriage (the occasional disagreements, the small secrets, the overall desire to provide) and ratchets them up to horror-infused metaphors for the endless ways most "normal" married people relate to one another in these areas. Well, one story is about a single woman, but for me that functioned as a metaphor for the thinly-veiled prejudice single people often feel in a world of married couples.

A couple of the stories also function as simple warnings about what could happen if our darker emotions get the better of us, or if we're too trusting- or just plain dumb- to see what's happening right in front of our faces. Anyway, whatever else one can say about them, all four stories are, most importantly, great yarns: fast-paced, resonant, and involving. You can't go wrong here.

Full Dark, No Stars is available on Kindle for $14.99. Personally, I read the book on my iPad, via Apple's iBooks store. Though perfectly acceptable, that method didn't convert me and I will still read the great majority of my e-books on my Kindle. However, the iBooks version of the title was a couple of bucks cheaper than the Kindle version, I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment