If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Tale of a gallant sailor

A young woman in New York City is so depressed that she decides to end her life by throwing herself into the fast-moving currents of the waterfront.

But just as she's about to jump from the docks, a handsome young man quickly grasps her arm and stops her.

"You don't want to do this," says the concerned man. "You have so much to live for, even if you can't see it now."

The woman looks unconvinced, so the man tries another angle. "Look, I'm a sailor," he says, "and we're off to Europe tomorrow. I can stow you away on my ship, where I'll take care of you, bring you food every day, and keep you happy."

The woman mulls it over. With nothing to lose, combined with the fact that she has always wanted to go to Europe, she finally accepts.

That night, the sailor brings her aboard and hides her in a small but
comfortable compartment in the vessel's hold. Every night from then on, he brings her three sandwiches and makes love to her until dawn.

Three weeks later, though, the woman is discovered by the captain of the vessel during a routine inspection. "What are you doing here?" the captain asks the surprised woman.

"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors," the woman replies sheepishly. "He brings me food and I'm getting a free trip to Europe."

"I see," the captain says.

Her conscience then gets the best of her and the woman adds, "Plus, he's screwing me."

"He certainly is," replies the captain, "This is the Staten Island Ferry."

No comments:

Post a Comment