If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tron lives


I broke out my old DVD of 1982's Tron last night (the 20th anniversary edition DVD, which now, amazingly, goes for big bucks on Amazon), just to re-visit the world of the film before the sequel, Tron: Legacy, opens this weekend. Quick aside: Has there ever been a longer duration between original movie and sequel in the history of American film?

Anyway, just as I remembered from my last viewing several years ago, everything about the original Tron- its acting, story, themes, special effects, etc.- combines the fantastic with the clunky. Everything teases us with its potential but never quite fulfills it.

But that's okay. In the end, Tron scores enough points during its efficient 96 minutes that it remains more amazing than not almost 30 years later. I can see why there's always been some interest at Disney for a new visit to that world, and it'll be very interesting to see how the new film will pick up the baton from the old one.

I'm guessing that the original Tron will once again be made available on DVD as a companion piece to the new film, but for now the only place to get a DVD of the film is the second-hand market.

No comments:

Post a Comment