If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Nice day, nice wine


I enjoyed a tasty white wine this past weekend: Folonari Pinot Grigio. It's a crisp, dry Pinot Grigio from the Veneto region of Italy, born in stainless steel with a pale yellow color and a fragrant, fresh bouquet. It was both a formal and fun Pinot Grigio, kind of like a polished, tuxedoed waiter with a down-to-earth sense of humor.

The wine was doubly enjoyable because my extended family and I were enjoying it at my grandmother's 99th birthday party! The party was held at Scannicchio's Italian Restaurant, my cousin Christian's place in South Philadelphia. Check it out if you're in the area; it's a great little restaurant.

Normally a BYOB restaurant, my Uncle Johnny and Aunt Maryann (Christian's parents) made sure there was plenty of wine for the fifty or so guests in attendance. So each table sported bottles of the terrific Folonari Pinot Grigio, as well as bottles of perfectly decent Yellowtail Merlot. Both wines went well with the variety of entrees offered, with the Folonari pairing particularly nicely with the Veal Piccatta I selected as my main course.

Good wine, good food, a terrific family celebration... what more can one ask on a Sunday afternoon? But I guess we should at least try to top things for Grandmom Mae's big 100th birthday celebration next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment