If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Stylish, functional


As part of its "Vine" program, Amazon recently sent to me a fairly nice protective sleeve, designed for the iPad, for my review and comments. Here's what I had to say about it on Amazon, in a review I just posted there today:

The Acme Made Skinny Sleeve for iPad is a simple, elegant solution for protecting your iPad as you bounce around town with it. Free of all bells and whistles, it's simply a shiny black (mine is black, anyway) padded sleeve that's sealed on three sides and open on one. There's also a little extra padding and stiffness on the inside surface that rests against the iPad's screen, providing extra protection.

Though I tend to prefer sleeves with a zipper, so I can completely enclose my devices for added protection, the iPad sits very snugly inside the Skinny Sleeve, so there's little chance of it ever slipping out (though it may shift a little). Also, the open end of the Skinny Sleeve sits a good inch or so above the edge of the iPad closest to it, so even that edge of your device is decently protected.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is that you have to grip the iPad between thumb and forefinger pretty tightly to pull it out of the sleeve. This probably won't damage the iPad, but after months of repeated removals, can one be sure? Also, for such a basic, simple product, the Skinny Sleeve does seem a little pricey at $25.88. But then again, I think most of the cases and sleeves out there for the Kindle, iPad, and similar devices are pricey for what you get. And, yes, as others have noted, this sleeve picks up fingerprints pretty easily. But, then, so does the iPad itself, so what's one more thing to have to occasionally wipe clean?

In the end, this is just a matter of preference. There are no screaming flaws in this product, only attributes that some will like and some won't. Myself, I'll probably use this from time to time, though I'll likely remain a zippered case kind of guy for the lion's share of my iPad tote-around time.

No comments:

Post a Comment