If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Don't understand it

What's the deal these days with new television shows getting cancelled after barely being given a chance? First, Fox cancelled the new series Lone Star after broadcasting only two episodes. And now it's just been announced that ABC's My Generation has also been given the ax, likewise after only two episodes were shown. Poor ratings were cited in both cases as the reason for the programs' cancellations.

Now, I don't know if either of those shows were any good, but... cancelling them after only two episodes? Isn't there some recognition that all shows aren't instant hits and take time to build an audience? The classic example, of course, is Seinfeld, which barely had fair ratings for its initial episodes, and was well into its run before it became a huge hit.

One, I feel bad for all the creative types who made these shows happen and weren't given a fair chance to let their shows resonate with the public, and two, I think cancelling them so quickly was a bad business decision, as who knows if either or both of these shows might have gotten hot, maybe even really hot, a couple of months down the line.

Just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment