If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Well-crafted thrills


The terrifically entertaining Secret Prey starts out as a clever whodunit set in the world of high-priced corporate politics: several top-tier bank executives are manuveuring for power during a merger when one of them is murdered. But as fun as it is to witness the watching-every-dime cops (well, except for series lead Lucas Davenport, who certainly isn't poor) grilling the millionaire executives, the book becomes even more interesting later on, when it becomes clear who the culprit is.

At that point, about two-thirds of the way into the book, the story morphs into one about dysfunctional families and the broken personalities they can produce. Yet everything- the earlier straight up whodunit and the latter dark psychological study- fits together nicely. And, have no fears, both aspects feature well done thriller elements that will keep you devouring chapters.

Adding further texture to the proceedings are the latest developments in Lucas Davenport's love life, which center around the sad dissolving of Lucas' relationship with surgeon Weather Karkinnen and the subsequent spicy affair Lucas initiates with a colleague. Well, it's really she who does the initiating, in a funny, memorable scene.

This ninth book in John Sandford's "Lucas Davenport" series is a particularly strong entry and shouldn't be missed if you have any affinity for this character or series.

Interestingly, I just finished this book on my Kindle, but when I checked the Kindle Store just now to refesh my memory on its cost (I think I paid six or seven bucks for it), the book no longer seems to be available. It could be a glitch, as several other books in the series are still available, or perhaps its absence is due to a price dispute between the publisher and Amazon, resulting in the temporary removal of the title from the Kindle Store. In any event, Secret Prey is a great book if you can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment