If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Riddle me this, Kindle...

First, circa late 2007/early 2008, I had a first-generation Kindle, and Amazon asked me to name it. I called it Joe's Kindle. Easy enough, right?

But, then, I eventually purchased a Kindle 2. So, I called that one Joe's Kindle, and gave my Kindle 1 to my wife, renaming it Alison's Kindle. Still fairly smooth sailing.

But now, I'm seriously thinking of getting a third-generation Kindle. Shall I call that one Joe's Kindle now and give my old K2 to my wife and rename that one Alison's Kindle? But then, what do I call the still perfectly functional Kindle 1? Joe & Alison's extra Kindle? That's probably too long.

And, at just $139 each for the wifi-only versions, what if I decide to get his and hers Kindle 3's at one time, so my wife can get a new Kindle right away, too? That's even more naming I'll need to do!

And before you ask, yes, we have kids, two of them. But they really don't care about the quaint Kindle device, and think our affection for it is a cute parental quirk. So no giving the two oldest Kindles to the kids, renamed as Dave's Kindle and Samantha's Kindle. They're perfectly happy with their iPod devices and premium cable.

So, Kindles everywhere might soon be in store for us, and there's only one Joe and one Alison designation to spread among them. Frustrating, and a dilemma.

Hmmm, maybe I can sell naming rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment