If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bond and beyond


Roger Moore’s show business memoir, My Word Is My Bond (which I just finished the other day), is a decent reading experience, not spectacularly entertaining but never less than pleasantly engaging. If all you’re interested in is James Bond, however, you’ll be disappointed, as the actor's Bond years cover somewhere between a quarter and a third of the book’s total page count.

But the Bond anecdotes aren’t the only compelling elements here. Sir Roger’s tales of his TV years, theatre work, many other movies, private life, and philanthropic work (in particular, his admirable dedication to UNICEF), also do a good enough job in keeping one turning the pages.

My Word Is My Bond was recently reduced to $9.99 on Kindle from a high of just north of 15 bucks. I'm glad I waited... the initial price was a little high for what you get here, but I think it's worth the more reasonable $9.99. One more plus: the Kindle edition includes the many photographs in the print edition, as well as the helpful index.

No comments:

Post a Comment