If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Good couch movie


This review is pretty short not because I'm lazy (I've written plenty of longer reviews, honest), but because The Slammin' Salmon is best enjoyed if you don't know a million things about the movie before you pop it into your DVD player. Suffice it to say that, if you don't demand too much, you'll have a good enough time with the modest pleasures of this manic tale of a night behind the scenes at a hip and trendy restaurant, and the efforts of its waiters and waitresses to win a big cash prize from their clueless yet still threatening boss.

I enjoyed most of the jokes, the talented and attractive cast, and even found myself admiring the beautiful, chic restaurant set, which for some reason made the jokes and antics work even better (it somehow complemented the funny scenes, or effectively contrasted with them, or something). Oh, I should mention that the talented and very pretty April Bowlby should get some kind of award for having to go through the bulk of the film in yucky burned-face make-up after a couple of unfortunate mishaps (the restaurant business can be dangerous). In short, after that last scene with the hot soup, she couldn't simply rely on her looks to sell her scenes, yet she still did a great job making us laugh.

The Slammin' Salmon looks sharp and clean on standard DVD, but there are hardly any extra features. The movie's pretty good, though, and that's what really counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment