If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Super-heroic


Of the two graphic novels I mentioned yesterday, the one I ended up reading was All-Star Superman, Volume 1, written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely. In fact, I read the whole thing today. Good little story (well, stories, actually), combining hard science fiction with an often whimsical air, with a little high fantasy thrown in for good measure.

I'll have to wait until volume 2 to see how the bulk of Grant Morrison's plot arcs play out, but the six individual issues of the original series that are collected here are happily satisfying in their own right, each telling a complete tale of the Man of Steel while advancing the overall business of the series. And the overall business is a doozy, involving a huge personal dilemma for Superman, one inflicted on him by classic nemesis Lex Luthor. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing where things go, and to see more of Frank Quitely's lighthearted yet dramatic images.

So far, All-Star Superman is quite something, projecting in both story and look a light innocence and a dark complexity. Doesn't hurt that the pages turn quickly, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment