If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowbound musings, part one


As this blog originates in the great northeast, at the moment in the epicenter of the snowstorm/blizzard you're all reading about, I'm a little punchy from cabin fever. Been catching up on some movies, though (blizzards are great for that). Last night, as the snow started falling, we watched Amelia, Mira Nair's 2009 movie about Amelia Earhart, which stars Hilary Swank as the famed aviator.

Plus sides of the film: well acted and directed, with a great John Barry-esque score by Gabriel Yared. It has top-notch production values, too. Minuses: An often clunky, obvious script that lacks subtlety and nuance. In particular, Amelia Earhart's final fate is laid at the feet of navigator Fred Noonan, because- as described in the film- he happened to enjoy a couple of scotches between each several-thousand-mile stretch of that final round-the-world journey. Considering that no one to this day knows exactly what went wrong with that last trip by Earhart, the movie's "revelation" seemed a little unfair to me.

Anyway, the movie was watchable for the plusses I mentioned, but only if you can easily rent it on DVD or conveniently push a few buttons on your cable or satellite remote to whisk it onto your TV screen.

More cabin fever musings to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment