If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prey #5


Arguably the best entry among the first five books in John Sandford's Prey series (though I still have a soft spot for the extreme creepiness and dramatic revelations of Eyes of Prey), Mr. Sandford's Winter Prey is a bracing, knock-out read however you slice it.

Though series protagonist Lucas Davenport is here in all his glory, this one is less concerned with what is going on in Lucas' often troubled personal life and just wants to give us a moody, bang-up thriller plot, one that emphasizes Lucas' passion for crime fighting. And there's also a slight change in the series' usual flavor and tone, which makes for some welcome variety: instead of urban tension, here we get wilderness, snowstorms, icy temperatures, snowmobiles, and coyotes.

But don't worry, there's also one of those nicely written Lucas Davenport romantic subplots we've become accustomed to seeing, this time involving a tough yet fetching surgeon. And yes, you also get a memorable killer. Laced with intelligent details yet extremely fast paced, the book will not disappoint.

Winter Prey is available on Kindle for $7.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment