If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Parker and Spenser

Robert B. Parker is sadly no longer with us, but his detective hero Spenser will be around a little while longer, thanks to Dr. Parker's penchant for keeping busy and routinely having several books "in the can" prior to publication. The next Spenser novel- there are reportedly two on the way- is called Painted Ladies and it will be released on October 5 of this year. Prior to that we'll see two other Parker offerings: a Jesse Stone title later this month and a western- the next Virgil Cole/Everett Hitch adventure- in May.

Here's something to think about: would you like to see another writer continue Spenser's adventures when the Parker novels run out? Myself, I'm on the fence on that one. Part of me thinks that an author's run on a popular series is sacred and should die with him. Another part says I should lighten up: a character like Spenser is rich and fun and stories about him should continue. After all, worst case scenario, if the continuation is inferior to the prior books, does that really in any way taint the entries that were written by Parker?

Interestingly, Parker himself finished an incomplete Raymond Chandler novel about Philip Marlowe, then went on to write his own Marlowe novel, so I'm guessing that the author wasn't inherently hostile to the concept, and wouldn't be gritting his teeth from beyond the grave if someone continued writing about Spenser... if a writer of quality was selected. The choice of writer would concern the good Dr. Parker more, I think, than the basic concept of continuing his character.

What do all of you think about all this?

1 comment:

  1. Because of Parker's work completing Chandler's novel and going on to write more about Chandler's character, I agree Parker would probably not be adverse to the concept.

    The problem, as you so rightly put it, would be in the choice of writer. Parker is a great writer - he makes the extremely difficult look easy. As such, he was capable of stepping into Chandler's shoes. While their style is not exactly the same, there are many similarities. To find someone, whose style is close enogh to Parker's to make the transition is a very tall order.

    I'd like to see it happen. Perhaps not a Spenser novel, but maybe another author taking a run at a Hawk novel, which may be the route to go to keep the styles from clashing.

    ReplyDelete