If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Use your Kindle as a window to the old west

In Robert B. Parker's engaging western novel Brimstone (on Kindle for $9.99), on again/off again lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch put down stakes in the prosperous town of the title where, over the course of 300 or so pages (I glanced at the page count of the hardback edition), they mediate a dispute between a church pastor and the owner of the biggest saloon in town, address the problem of a revenge-seeking Indian, and work to bring Cole's troubled longtime love Allie back into the fold.

Only three books into this series (Appaloosa and Resolution are the first two entries), the whole enterprise is already a well-oiled machine, consistently delivering both what we expect (the cameraderie, the flavor of the setting, the sudden danger, etc.), as well as a few surprises. Who'd have thought Mr. Parker, mainly known for his Spenser and Jesse Stone crime thrillers, would help me find my inner Western fan?

Appaloosa was also made into a pretty good film starring Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris, who also directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment