If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On the horizon

Apple is about to announce its new tablet-style computer. Here's my question, one Kindle-holic to another: If the new Apple Tablet (or whatever it ends up being called) has the size and portability of the Kindle, convenient apps to buy books, PLUS all the features of a decent laptop computer or I-Phone (minus the ability to make phone calls), would you consider moving your e-book habit- entirely or maybe just a little- away from Kindle and onto such a device? In the end, it really comes down to two questions: 1) how important is e-ink, and 2)how important is owning a device solely dedicated to reading e-books?

Myself, I'm not sure of the answers. Here's how I'm leaning, though: I definitely don't see myself giving up on the Kindle, as there's something elegant about a device that doesn't do a million things but instead performs a few tasks well. But... a portable tablet, that feels about the same as the Kindle in one's hand, lets you see a book's cover in color, sports excellent black/white contrast on a novel's pages of text (sometimes a challenge for the K2 to accomplish), all while presenting an array of booksellers, not just Amazon... I don't know. And I'm just talking about the tablet's e-book capabilities.

If I have to venture a prediction, I'd say that I'm probably going to buy one of these new Apple Tablets, enjoy it for a variety of uses, but when it comes to e-books, I'll alternate between that and the Kindle. Time will tell if my prediction is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment