If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hello, iPad


Well, it was indeed a new tablet-style computer that Apple unveiled today. Called the iPad, it's really neat (sorry to get all technical on you there). And it does have a wonderful e-book application, elegant in look and smooth in function (at least it seemed so in the demos). Of course, it won't have e-ink, but speaking for myself, I don't need to read every e-book via e-ink. A little backlit LCD provides variety, after all.

So yeah... though I still don't think I'll abandon my Kindle, I might want to occasionally read an e-book on the iPad, too, or alternate a single book between the two devices if that can be done. In any event, I'm going to want one of these things anyway, even if I don't end up using it much for e-books. What the Kindle brought about with e-books- enabling readers to actually feel comfortable curling up and reading a book on a device- the nicely compact iPad seems to be doing with other computer functions: enabling us to curl up and do regular computer stuff in truly comfortable fashion. The $499 entry-level price point doesn't hurt, either.

The accompanying photograph shows Apple CEO Steve Jobs showing off his new baby at today's press conference. Sales of the iPad will commence in about two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment