If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A good listen


Leslie Mendelson's Swan Feathers features eleven enjoyable songs reminiscent of the kind of music heard on adult contemporary stations (remember those?) in the 1970's. Her smooth, often playful voice reminded me a little of Karen Carpenter, though Ms. Mendelson's voice is more fun and bouncy than deep and rich.

I can't say I was floored by this album (two or three listens is enough for now), but it's definitely an enjoyable easy-listening experience. I paricularly liked the sassy first track, "I Know You Better Than That" and the singer's slow, moody cover of the golden oldie, "Be My Baby".

I'm betting that Leslie Mendelson's work will only improve, but for now this is a perfectly respectable debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment