If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading. Please don't need me.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Anecdotes from the final frontier...

The View From The Bridge (on Kindle for $14.27 as of this fine New Year's Day) is Nicholas Meyer's chatty, engaging memoir about his adventures writing and/or directing "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home", and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" (he wrote and directed the second and sixth Trek films, and wrote the fourth). The book also includes many behind-the-scenes material about Paramount Pictures treatment of the Star Trek franchise in general, as well as interesting material about Mr. Meyer's other films and a little about his private life. All in all, Mr. Meyer delivers a very entertaining memoir, though of course it'll help matters if you're interested in the world of Star Trek.

The View From the Bridge read fine on my K2, though I do wish that the Kindle version included the many photographs that appeared in the print edition. As the photos were in black & white anyway, it probably wouldn't have been much of a chore to include them. But that's a minor nitpick, as the book itself is the important thing.

A quick fact: Did you know that Mr. Meyer, pre-Trek, wrote two very successful Sherlock Holmes books, The Seven-Percent Solution and The West End Horror (neither of which is on Kindle yet, alas) as well as helping to adapt (as screenwriter) the film version of the former? This book reminded me of those things, and will send me in search of the DVD of The Seven-Percent Solution, which sounds like a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment